Blackfyre

Re: Don't Touch the Big Red Button: Twilight Struggle tournament

Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:46 am

Well, I'm in as well,

I'm new to the game and hope that this tourney might help me practice. Thanks for organizing @spicethecat

Edit: I'm Blackfire1929 on Playdek
Last edited by Blackfyre on Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Baelnor

Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:44 pm

Just FYI, played 10 games against the computer so far, and none have gone past Mid War. I keep losing :) But I am finding new and interesting ways to lose! Who knew if you played Olympic Games at DefCon 2 and your opponent boycotted to reduce def con by 1 that you would lose, not them!

Kolbex

Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:26 am

Just FYI, played 10 games against the computer so far, and none have gone past Mid War. I keep losing :) But I am finding new and interesting ways to lose! Who knew if you played Olympic Games at DefCon 2 and your opponent boycotted to reduce def con by 1 that you would lose, not them!
This is precisely what was referred to above:
its probably worth noting that there are a number of ways to instantly lose the game, even on your own turn. They mostly revolve around cards to degrade (reduce) defcon. If defcon is at 2 then reducing it to 1 ends the game. The less intuitive thing is that the player whose overall turn it is that loses, not the player that forced the defcon 1.
You can also host an international understanding-promoting event, the Olympics, and your opponent can boycott and then the friggin' nuclear war that follows is somehow your fault.
For what it's worth I also ended up losing this way on my second game of TS. I had to look up the whole "phasing player" business in the rulebook. Keeps you on your toes.

Private Prinny

Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:25 pm

Just FYI, played 10 games against the computer so far, and none have gone past Mid War. I keep losing :) But I am finding new and interesting ways to lose!
Word! I'm assuming the AI is cheating like hell....always couping and realigning in the areas I have the score cards (boy do I hate them).....and the dice must be weighed too.....7 missed space races in 7 turns? on a hit chance of 50%? Argh!

I am a total noob aaand I am a bit pressed for time. So I would sign up if this is paced at a glacial speedset not unlike my old LoD Tournaments (remember them taking months :-p)

How are the possible timersets? Timeout after 24 hours? 48? Or like in Ascension?

irishdomer08

Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:00 pm

The timers are the same as Playdek's other titles (Agricola, LoW). 21 or 45 days are the longest two. That's for one persons entire game, not per move of course.

iandavidsmith

Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:24 am

I would like to play as well if there is space.
Ta
Ian

SpiceTheCat

Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:26 am

That's a good set of imperialist warmongers to be going on with.

I'd like to have a tournament schedule where everyone plays to the end, i.e. no knock-out stage. For a 2-player game like this, a Swiss tournament should work, the downside being that one slow player holds up the entire competition. This is true for KO competitions, to be fair. It'll also suit those players who'd rather only have one game on the go at a time. 18 players (currently) suggests 5 rounds.

I think I'll go for the 21-day time limit to allow some leeway for players with actual real lives, on the understanding that everyone will try and move promptly and not use up the entire allowance.

I'll allow a bit more time for sign-ups, backer codes to arrive usw., before starting.
the Starveling Cat! the Starveling Cat! look what it did! to your nice new hat!

Blackfyre

Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:08 am

Thumbs up @spicethecat

JaneHatke

Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:08 pm

Just got the app on Friday but I'll play.

john_l

Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:56 pm

I'll play. john1325 at PlayDek

Return to “The Tourney Dome”