Cgareth

Re: Don't Touch the Big Red Button: Twilight Struggle tournament

Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:38 pm

cgareth

I'm going to invite some folks from here and feel free to add me - on the longest turn-time setting though...

Snotty128

Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:25 pm

I think I'll go for the 21-day time limit to allow some leeway for players with actual real lives, on the understanding that everyone will try and move promptly and not use up the entire allowance.
Im all in favour of shorter timers and quicker play, but do we know for sure that a 21 day timer is feasible? The 45 minute timer is frankly insane, so Im not convinced playdek has finessed the timers for this game.

Assuming the headline phase is simultaneous, that leaves us with 5x3, 6x3, and 6x3 actions minimum per person. Thats 51 actions per player, and a significant number of those actions will require a response from the other player before they resolve. I cant see the '1 turn a day' crowd managing 100+ actions in 45 days, let alone in 21 days.

irishdomer08

Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:05 pm

The other challenge for speed with this game is that it is only iPad at the moment (and PC). I think many people are only able to get to their iPads to make moves in the evening. (At least I only am).

45 days may be prudent just to avoid timeouts.

geigerm

Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:08 pm

I agree that 45 days seems like the best choice--we probably don't have enough of a sense of how fast games will play since the app is new and the PC version hasn't been out THAT long. I have a sneaking suspicion this TS tourney is the first of many, so it'll probably help determine what an appropriate timer is for future versions.

SpiceTheCat

Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:18 pm

Hm, good point all.

The downside of 45 days is of course that a 5-round tourney will finish in autumn 2017 if people consistently use the full allowance, but eh. Let's see how it plays out.

Any would-be players still waiting on a backer code, before we start?
the Starveling Cat! the Starveling Cat! look what it did! to your nice new hat!

hardco

Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:22 pm

I'm still waiting on a code, but if I'm the only think in they way, either go ahead or I'll just buy the game and give my backer code to a friend...

Snotty128

Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:44 pm

I agree that a tournament that lasts over a year is less than ideal. Perhaps we can review the timer after the first round. My main concern is that a good game is often balanced on a knife edge and it would be a shame to see that tension broken by a timeout.

SpiceTheCat

Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:04 pm

I agree that a tournament that lasts over a year is less than ideal. Perhaps we can review the timer after the first round. My main concern is that a good game is often balanced on a knife edge and it would be a shame to see that tension broken by a timeout.
See, this is where on a sensible forum I would just 'like' your post, to confirm I'd read it and concurred without all the faff of having to quote, type, etc. Hmph. Everything was better in the old days, except memory and screen resolution.

Basically, yes, I agree.
the Starveling Cat! the Starveling Cat! look what it did! to your nice new hat!

Blackfyre

Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:42 pm

Thumbs up @snotty

SleepingGiant

Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:27 pm

I'd like to joint the tournament. Thanks for the helpful post on the other thread and I now feel like I really understand the basic brinksmanship strategy and can crush the AI, although I'm sure there are so many finer points I haven't fathomed yet. This might be a dumb question, but how do I actually join the tournament? I've been a PT reader for quite a while, but this would be my first tourney...

Return to “The Tourney Dome”