Snotty128

Re: Don't Touch the Big Red Button: Twilight Struggle tournament

Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:15 am

This might be a dumb question, but how do I actually join the tournament? I've been a PT reader for quite a while, but this would be my first tourney...
You got in before spicethecat closed the tournament, so you get in just like that.

Im sure you know, but the assumption is that you'll see the tournament through if you join, or at the very least have the grace to tell someone if you want to bow out. Considering how long this tourney might run it becomes difficult to set up further rounds if people fall out of communication.

Baelnor

Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:51 am

Hmm.. so that game in which I am playing against @Spicethecat is the tourney or is not the tourney?

#confused

SleepingGiant

Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:27 am

This might be a dumb question, but how do I actually join the tournament? I've been a PT reader for quite a while, but this would be my first tourney...
You got in before spicethecat closed the tournament, so you get in just like that.

Im sure you know, but the assumption is that you'll see the tournament through if you join, or at the very least have the grace to tell someone if you want to bow out. Considering how long this tourney might run it becomes difficult to set up further rounds if people fall out of communication.
Thanks again! I'll definitely see it through, or bow out gracefully if for some reason I can't do. If it goes for more than a year then no promises :). Sorry, but another dumb question: how do I know whom to play when, do I just check this thread, or is there some other tourney organizing thread? I played two games against the AI today, one by each side, and won both on 20 points mid-war, so I'm feeling ready...

Private Prinny

Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:22 am

Thanks again! I'll definitely see it through, or bow out gracefully if for some reason I can't do. If it goes for more than a year then no promises :). Sorry, but another dumb question: how do I know whom to play when, do I just check this thread, or is there some other tourney organizing thread? I played two games against the AI today, one by each side, and won both on 20 points mid-war, so I'm feeling ready...
Hold your eager horses ;-P
StC will either post instructions here or in a seperate Tournament thread which will be linked from here. Luckily the PT Tournament crowd is a experienced and helpful bunch so don't worry joung Padawan, all in due time!

;-)

SpiceTheCat

Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:16 pm

I'll finally close the lists on Friday morning, so there's a last chance for any remaining President Muffleys to sign up.

The current favoured format is a 5-round Swiss tournament with 45-day timers. I'll arrogate to myself the capricious and arbitrary powers to shorten the timers in later rounds if everyone zooms through the game after all, and also to declare games drawn/forfeit if you're collectively doing your best near-immobile chin-stroking Karpov impressions and the rest of us are twiddling our thumbs in our bunkers waiting for you. As it were.

I'll start a new thread for the tournament proper, and probably Pravda/Voice of America threads for everyone to explain just how they accidentally triggered global thermonuclear war this time, oops.

Edit: it's worth reiterating that this is a long game with slow timers, so the tournament will last a year. Please bear that in mind. I will also probably periodically nag for progress reports on quiet games.
the Starveling Cat! the Starveling Cat! look what it did! to your nice new hat!

SpiceTheCat

Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:35 pm

Hmm.. so that game in which I am playing against @Spicethecat is the tourney or is not the tourney?

#confused
Nope, that was me randomly sending out game requests by way of warmup :)
the Starveling Cat! the Starveling Cat! look what it did! to your nice new hat!

skoptic

Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:05 pm

If I'm in before the cutoff, I'd love to embarrass myself by joining in :)

SleepingGiant

Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:43 am

Hold your eager horses ;-P
StC will either post instructions here or in a seperate Tournament thread which will be linked from here. Luckily the PT Tournament crowd is a experienced and helpful bunch so don't worry joung Padawan, all in due time!

;-)
Cool! I'll try to use the force, and check back on this thread later in the weekend or early next week for instructions. Thanks SpiceTheCat for being the organizer, it hurt my my brain to even read about Swiss-style rules. Sounds fun, even if it goes more than a year that will be an epic win for somebody.

whovian223

Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:27 pm

Since I'm sure I will lose in the first round (don't necessarily understand the format, so not sure how many games that is), I'm sure I won't have to worry about the tournament lasting a year. :)

JammaTal

Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:10 pm

Since I'm sure I will lose in the first round (don't necessarily understand the format, so not sure how many games that is), I'm sure I won't have to worry about the tournament lasting a year. :)
but yes, you will, whovian223 ;)
btw congrats on your win in the Lost Cities tourney!

swiss tournament means that all players will play 5 games.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss-system_tournament

Return to “The Tourney Dome”