KYakerDude

Re: Patchwork tournament redux

Tue May 03, 2016 7:58 pm

hardco (p2) over robthomasson (p1) 25-0

As discussed above, robthomasson bought an expensive patch to start, giving me some good cheap patches early. By one revolution of the board I had both a slight button income advantage and a decent amount of extra coverage. Forcing a large pass for him in the late game sealed it.

Final results hardco over robthomasson 2-1

Nice match!
Looks like it is me and you, hardco.

I've started our first game with me as the first player. Good luck.

SpiceTheCat

Tue May 03, 2016 8:38 pm

Congratulations to hardco, and thanks to KYakerDude for getting the final underway. Best of 5. Good luck both!
the Starveling Cat! the Starveling Cat! look what it did! to your nice new hat!

SpiceTheCat

Wed May 04, 2016 6:58 am

Because we clearly haven't had enough Patchwork, robthomasson and I are having a third-place playoff, best of 5. To the sewing kits! Gentlemen, start your needles!

hardco

Wed May 04, 2016 2:03 pm

Game 1:
hardco (p2) over kyakerdude (p1) 30-13

I got off to an early lead with some better pieces, but my quilt was soon a mess compared to kyakerdude's orderly quilt. We got into a passing standoff in mid-game, but even though kyakerdude would have picked up all of the single patches if it continued, I would have kept the lead thanks to a button advantage, so he had to break the stalemate. At the end he was one single patch short of taking the 7x7 and with all the cheap patches gone he couldn't gain too much ground when there was little left to fit my quilt. Still a tight game though!

KYakerDude

Wed May 04, 2016 2:20 pm

Game 1:
hardco (p2) over kyakerdude (p1) 30-13

I got off to an early lead with some better pieces, but my quilt was soon a mess compared to kyakerdude's orderly quilt. We got into a passing standoff in mid-game, but even though kyakerdude would have picked up all of the single patches if it continued, I would have kept the lead thanks to a button advantage, so he had to break the stalemate. At the end he was one single patch short of taking the 7x7 and with all the cheap patches gone he couldn't gain too much ground when there was little left to fit my quilt. Still a tight game though!
It was a great game. This was one of those games with a first player disadvantage. Hardco was up 15 patches (30 points) after the second or third turn, and had a button advantage. I was struggling to not let him run away with the game.

hardco

Wed May 04, 2016 5:39 pm

These games are flying by...

hardco (p1) over kyakerdude (p2) 13-7

I started with the awkward patches on the middle of one side, and ended up with a messier quilt again. I had an early lead, but not as significant as in game 1. I thought I had the 7x7 locked up, but kyakerdude swiped it the turn before I would have picked it up. He was about 10 spaces short of getting it, but filled that many in one turn (two patches)! Fortunately by that point there weren't a lot of good tiles left, and I maintained the lead for the last few turns.

KYakerDude

Wed May 04, 2016 11:20 pm

These games are flying by...

hardco (p1) over kyakerdude (p2) 13-7

I started with the awkward patches on the middle of one side, and ended up with a messier quilt again. I had an early lead, but not as significant as in game 1. I thought I had the 7x7 locked up, but kyakerdude swiped it the turn before I would have picked it up. He was about 10 spaces short of getting it, but filled that many in one turn (two patches)! Fortunately by that point there weren't a lot of good tiles left, and I maintained the lead for the last few turns.
Not a great game for me.

This next one looks awful. This is like the fourth game where the other player has a first turn where they can get the free piece. :(

I'll look at the game tomorrow.

KYakerDude

Thu May 05, 2016 4:24 pm

KYakerDude (P2) over hardco (P1) 14 to 8.

Hardco was ahead for the entire game except the last turn.

Let's play the next game tomorrow.

hardco

Thu May 05, 2016 4:32 pm

Well, only ahead by point count. The fact that your income was 10 buttons higher than mine for the last 5 income generations was a looming threat that I didn't see myself staying ahead of...

Oops, I guess you were supposed to go first that game?

SpiceTheCat

Thu May 05, 2016 9:18 pm

In the third place playoff, robthomasson wins the first game 35-27. Finished with 6 gaps apiece, the 7x7 bonus tilting the game. Nice game.

Return to “The Tourney Dome”