robthomasson

Re: Patchwork tournament redux

Fri May 06, 2016 8:51 am

In the third place playoff, robthomasson wins the first game 35-27. Finished with 6 gaps apiece, the 7x7 bonus tilting the game. Nice game.
Yes, it was. Getting the 7x7 bonus left me with a few unfillable holes - but the game ended before that hurt too much.

I went second - new game started with me as first player.

A small observation on the first player vs second player preference topic. The first player can never place more than one patch on their first turn whilst the second place player will sometimes have that option. But the first player does go first (wise words indeed) and have the possibility of influence - so I guess that I think there is no inherent advantage to first or second. If there is an advantage it is decided per game by the available patches. Early buttons are worth so much.

hardco

Sat May 07, 2016 2:37 am

Hardco (p2) over kyakerdude (p1) 26-13

Kyakerdude got off to an early lead, and I struggled to keep up, trying to keep a slight button advantage to close the gap. Kyakerdude kept the advantage while grabbing the majority of the early single tiles. I thought I was out, until I noticed that he still had an empty space in his quilt, and it gave me the opportunity to take the 7x7. Then, with limited room on his quilt, I forced him to pass the last couple rounds to the end before I bought my final tile.

Hardco over kyakerdude 3 games to 1.

Nice match kyakerdude!

robthomasson

Hardco Wins!

Sat May 07, 2016 11:31 am

All congratulations to hardco - and to KYakerDude who (as I know to my cost from the the first round) will have been hard to beat.

Thanks of course to SpiceTheCat for organising. We are still working through our bronze medal matches but I have been mostly absent for a couple of days so progress has been slow.

SpiceTheCat

Thu May 12, 2016 8:05 am

Sorry for the delay in the bronze match: for some reason I didn't get a notification, possibly because of the update. Anyway, we got moving and I lost badly. 2-1 to rt now, game 4 in progress.
the Starveling Cat! the Starveling Cat! look what it did! to your nice new hat!

robthomasson

Fri May 13, 2016 8:49 am

Sorry for the delay in the bronze match: for some reason I didn't get a notification, possibly because of the update. Anyway, we got moving and I lost badly. 2-1 to rt now, game 4 in progress.
My brain went AWOL in the fourth game and I made a complete pig's ear of it. So it is now 2-2.

Invite sent for the last game ...

SpiceTheCat

Fri May 13, 2016 1:39 pm

My brain went AWOL in the fourth game and I made a complete pig's ear of it. So it is now 2-2.

Invite sent for the last game ...
And we're off.

I did think I was going to let a comfortable lead slip at one point, when you were picking up big low-cost pieces. Then again, the way the pieces fell so I could mop up the 2-block and the two 3-block L pieces you needed in one turn was a bit fortunate...

robthomasson

Bronze Medal

Mon May 16, 2016 8:43 am

The final game was robthomasson 32 > SpiceTheCat 24 so I get third place by 3 games to 2.

The end of this last game was so fortunate for me. I moved to the last but one square on the track and SpiceTheCat was forced to pass and therefore finish without the chance for a last purchase. He had snagged the 7x7 bonus but I had the superior income.

Every game I played in this tourney was enjoyable - but especially this final set of 5 against SpiceTheCat. Great thanks to him for organising and commiserations on just missing out on third place.

SpiceTheCat

Thu May 19, 2016 1:10 pm

Congrats to robthomasson - the 3rd place playoff was a very nice series of games, and the last game was balanced all the way through. Wrap-up post to come...

SpiceTheCat

Thu May 19, 2016 1:28 pm

Congratulations to hardco, who is awarded the Golden Buttons of Victory.

Silver buttons to KYakerDude.
Bronze buttons to robthomasson.

Thank you to everyone who took part.

SpiceTheCat

Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:18 pm

Also because you can't have too many tournaments and I'm apparently obsessed with the Swiss format, I'm considering running a new Patchwork tournament. It's a nice game, and it'd be cool to revisit it.

Return to “The Tourney Dome”