Nerdy.Latino

Knighthood - Mobile Review

Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:24 pm

Launched in late February of this year, "Knighthood" released by King Digital Entertainment is a breath of fresh air when it come to Fantasy Turn-Based mobile games. The game boasts a unique art style with clean, crisp graphics. The mechanics of the game are easy to learn, and the small story added keeps things moving forward. This game was thought out, and it shows.

When you first begin the game, you are introduced to the story in small doses. You want to become a "Rage Knight", and you might not be up to the task. From that you are pushed to designing your character, you are given the option to choose some head hair and facial. The overall process gives you an almost plain looking character, but it fits the world so well. You don't need much to enjoy the aesthetics of the game; It's simple, nothing clashes with one-another and when you enter combat... it's beautiful.

Combat play is easy enough to learn in one shot. To use your weapon, you simply tap the center of the screen, after you acquire your in-game gauntlet you do up swipes to punch. You battle multiple opponents at once, and you're allowed to make four moves per turn. You can stack attacks together for combos and if you manage to defeat an opposing character, just swipe to the side where another character is, and it will continue your combo move.

Every time you do a physical attack you begin building your rage meters. Two of your meters charge your collected heroes. These heroes are switchable before combat, each hero carries a unique attack that can be more impactful depending on the race of the characters you're battling against. Your large rage meter charges your special attack. When this meter is fully charged you have a split moment to select one of your two heroes, after which the selected will perform a special attack that will target all opposing characters.

As you continue the questing story you begin to collect gold and certain metals. You can use your gold to purchase new equipment from shops that you unlock on your journey. Precious metals are used to level up your existing equipment if you wish to keep them for longer periods. During your first quest line, you will unlock a mine that gives you a few metals a day for free. Micro-transactions are not the focus here, which given King's history with their flagship game "Candy Crush", It's a bit of a shock.

Now this game does feature my most despised game mechanic – "Autoplay", but it's only used for side missions... I can live with that. Overall, I like this game. It's a fun turn-based strategy that uses character traits to make you think about who you want on your team. The story is captivating enough, and only time will tell if King plans on utilizing that to help keep things fresh. I'm personally hoping for more attack options that can be executed with new swiping combos.

crocoyes8

Re: Knighthood - Mobile Review

Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:37 am

Really good game. Great graphics, good mechanics, clear simple equipment upgrade paths. Has pay to win elements, but several hours of gameplay in, and little to need for it. Once I noticed the "auto" button for battling introduction the game quickly became more grind than good, & immediately undoes any requirement of player skill. At higher levels the energy system just doesn't cut it. vidmate

Lewise1

Re: Knighthood - Mobile Review

Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:10 am

Really good game. Great graphics, good mechanics, clear simple equipment upgrade paths. Has pay to win elements, but several hours of gameplay in, and little to need for it. Once I noticed the "auto" button for battling introduction the game quickly became more grind than good, & immediately undoes any requirement of player skill. At higher levels the energy system just doesn't cut it.
Be advised that the game is purposely designed to hit you with serious challenges further along the path. I have to be vague because spoilers, but just know that there will be times when it might seem that you've hit a real wall.

They're there so you explore new ways to play the game, and discover or utilize tactics that feel deceptively weak compared to the punch, smack 'n' zap fun of the early game.

Welcome and have fun :)

Return to “Mobile Games”