admin
Site Admin

Classic Bioware RPG 'Jade Empire' May or May Not Be Coming To iOS Soon

Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:30 am

This one comes to you via TouchArcade – it seems the mobile adaptation of Bioware's classic Jade Empire RPG was due to land on iOS at some point this week, but...

http://www.pockettactics.com/news/class ... -ios-soon/

riotgirl

Re: Classic Bioware RPG 'Jade Empire' May or May Not Be Coming To iOS Soon

Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:37 pm

I am very sceptical of how Jade Empire will play on touch devices, given that unlike KOTOR, combat in Jade Empire is real-time, action combat with a lot of combos and weapon switching i.e. controller-centric.

EICJoe

Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:56 pm

I am very sceptical of how Jade Empire will play on touch devices, given that unlike KOTOR, combat in Jade Empire is real-time, action combat with a lot of combos and weapon switching i.e. controller-centric.
The Touch Arcade article has some more concrete impressions based on some actual hands-on time, if that helps??
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor
Wargamer.com
StrategyGamer.com

riotgirl

Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:23 am

I have JE on the 360 and love the game because I enjoy Chinese and Japanese literature inc. folklore and mythology. JE has a Chinese setting that incorporates elements of Chinese mythology.

My comment vis-a-vis touch screen controls was because I have first hand knowledge of how controller centric JE is on the 360. You do make full use of the controller with different martial arts and weapon stances, magic and chi, not to mention the different combos dependent on the previous inc. the excellent transformation into a creature (a spirit or demon of some kind).

I hate playing real-time action games on touch screen devices. The only game I like is Oceanhorn, and combat is very basic. I had to delete Bastion because for me it required a controller. JE will be almost mandatory to use a controller because it requires fluid positioning, combos, and switching from martial arts to weapon stances to transformation stances, not to mention magic and chi!

A very different beast to KOTOR which was real-time turn based i.e. you can queue up your actions in real-time, but combat dependent on stats, as opposed to how good you are at using a controller.

JE is not as demanding as a Street Fighter / Tekken style fighting game, but it will definitely require the same type of finesse with a controller.

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”