myst575

Wed May 04, 2016 2:14 am

Something is better nothing. With that said, I am glad you mentioned CATACLYSM: DARK DAYS AHEAD which really has got my attention. In a way this reminds me of a game I purchased off Steam back in March called "UnReal World RPG" which is also a Roguelike crafting, surviving game that takes place in the Iron Age. This game was made in 1992 and is still popular to this day. Would like to see it on the iPad.

http://www.unrealworld.fi/wiki/index.ph ... =Main_Page

geigerm

Re: Pocket Tactics' Games of the Month: April 2016

Wed May 04, 2016 2:30 am

I guess it's for the best that I forgot to submit my entry, which probably would have been Stephen's Sausage Roll, Miitomo or Imbroglio, which isn't even out yet.
Yeah, that would have been cruel. Seeing Warbits show up in the March post before its release was bad enough.

Alex Connolly

Wed May 04, 2016 2:38 am

The congeniality is appreciated, folks.

Except I deserve every bit of scorn over Warbits. My love for the pixel grit of Andy & Friends was too great.

rinelk

Re:

Wed May 04, 2016 2:41 am

I didn't mean to sound harsh, so apologies if I did. I like to hear about what others are playing and what might be worth looking in to myself. I suppose it is just the title that throws me a bit. If I go to ESPN and watch the top 10 hockey plays of the week, I expect hockey plays from that week; likewise, when I'm on Pocket Tactics and see a "games of the month" post, it just seems like it should be the best mobile games of the month. Even a re-title like "Games We Are Currently Enjoying" would make a big difference, at least in my mind.
That makes a lot of sense. I'll see what the others think--since we often don't get to games right away, making that an explicit shift in the purpose of the piece (rather than the implicit, halfway repurposing we're doing now, as seems expedient), that would help to both give our views on the staying power of some games, and remind people about some worthy titles they might have held off on. I interpreted the title as ambiguous between those two purposes, which is why it seemed to me fair to include an older game with a new expansion, but I can see why many readers would take it to be exclusively games released this month.

peter.vorna

Wed May 04, 2016 3:34 am

Martijn, Dwarf Fortress Remote seems to have slipped under your radar too then, if you like such games.

Lumaxis

Wed May 04, 2016 6:06 am

Something is better nothing. With that said, I am glad you mentioned CATACLYSM: DARK DAYS AHEAD which really has got my attention. In a way this reminds me of a game I purchased off Steam back in March called "UnReal World RPG" which is also a Roguelike crafting, surviving game that takes place in the Iron Age. This game was made in 1992 and is still popular to this day. Would like to see it on the iPad.

I've been a long reader and lurker at PT, but the mention of UnReal World has brought me out of the shadows. I've been playing computer games for nearly as long as I can remember. There are a select few games that have been on my hard drive since I first installed them; they always get thrown back on immediately after I do fresh installs. I'm not sure why, but they scratch itches no other games can. The oldest is Lords of the Realm II, which I've played since 1994. Then Knights of Honor, which I've played since 2006.

UnReal World is the most recent addition, and I've been playing it for the past five or so years. It has a special place for me. It sparks my imagination, and has given me an interest in human prehistory (though though the Iron-Age Finland of URW is hardly prehistory). Most of all, and unique to any video game I've ever played, it has driven me outdoors. I know for a fact I'm not the only player of URW to want to spend more time in my nearby nature because of this game. It's hardcore survival to boot. There's starvation. Getting mauled by bears, lynxes, or wolves. Losing fights with robbers or the bellicose people of the east. Or dying because you did something stupid out of boredom in the middle of winter. Pure joy at bagging an elk, and pure fury when its meat spoils.

I love this game. Buy it off Steam, but you can download it for free off the main site if you're unsure or strapped. I'd love to have this on a tablet (I travel with a netbook just so I can play this or Sanctuary Black RPG on the plane). I don't think it will happen, though. There is only a single guy working on the code while a second is around to discuss ideas (not unlike Dwarf Fortress). It's a labor of love, complex, and not always easy on the eyes.

But it's a hell of a game.

porror

Wed May 04, 2016 6:44 am

I don't mind, I like the openness, rules are there to be broken

mschuth

Re:

Wed May 04, 2016 9:04 am

Martijn, Dwarf Fortress Remote seems to have slipped under your radar too then, if you like such games.
Thanks Peter! I do love DF, and was aware of DF Remote. I just haven't had the chance to play around with that. But it seems to be working all right, so I'll definitely check it out! :)

JammaTal

Wed May 04, 2016 9:21 am

the same for me. throw at me whatever reports on interesting games of all sorts you want, i will be interested and take a look.
i'm playing and have always played games of different genres on different platforms.

in fact i have bought one or two hand-helds and consoles because of very special games i just had to play.

Alex Connolly

Re:

Wed May 04, 2016 9:52 am

I've been a long reader and lurker at PT, but the mention of UnReal World has brought me out of the shadows. I've been playing computer games for nearly as long as I can remember. There are a select few games that have been on my hard drive since I first installed them; they always get thrown back on immediately after I do fresh installs. I'm not sure why, but they scratch itches no other games can. The oldest is Lords of the Realm II, which I've played since 1994. Then Knights of Honor, which I've played since 2006.

UnReal World is the most recent addition, and I've been playing it for the past five or so years. It has a special place for me. It sparks my imagination, and has given me an interest in human prehistory (though though the Iron-Age Finland of URW is hardly prehistory). Most of all, and unique to any video game I've ever played, it has driven me outdoors. I know for a fact I'm not the only player of URW to want to spend more time in my nearby nature because of this game. It's hardcore survival to boot. There's starvation. Getting mauled by bears, lynxes, or wolves. Losing fights with robbers or the bellicose people of the east. Or dying because you did something stupid out of boredom in the middle of winter. Pure joy at bagging an elk, and pure fury when its meat spoils.

I love this game. Buy it off Steam, but you can download it for free off the main site if you're unsure or strapped. I'd love to have this on a tablet (I travel with a netbook just so I can play this or Sanctuary Black RPG on the plane). I don't think it will happen, though. There is only a single guy working on the code while a second is around to discuss ideas (not unlike Dwarf Fortress). It's a labor of love, complex, and not always easy on the eyes.

But it's a hell of a game.
Top notch game! Good balance of grand strategic plotting and tactical field fun.

Think those blokes were swallowed up by Crytek, of all studios.

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”